King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals

The King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (PO Box 144, Dhahran 31261) was founded in 1963 (1382/83 AH) under the name of the College of Petroleum and Minerals with fewer than 100 students. In 1964 (1383/84 AH), the University decided to admit other Arab and Muslim students along with Saudi students. The College was officially inaugurated in 1965 (1384/85 AH) by the late King Faisal who, on that occasion, declared that "it is a great pleasure for us to take part in inaugurating this great institution, of which the least that can be said is that it represents one of the pillars of our scientific, economic and industrial development". By 1974 (1394 AH), student enrollment had increased to 1,500 and it was accorded university status in 1975 (1395 AH).

In December 1986 (1407 AH), the University became the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals. In 2000/2001 the University had 680 teachers and 5,739 students. The King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals can now claim to be a university with internationally acknowledged and respected standards of academic and technical excellence in the fields of petroleum and mineral technology.

Related Items

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals Click to view high resolution version

King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals

See also:

Main reference point:

Search:

Profile of Saudi Arabia

The Country Profile contains thousands of pages of information on every aspect of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, including its geography, history and development (political, economic and social).